If I had a dollar for every time someone told me no man was ever gonna love me like Jesus…
Which I do believe is true, but Elle King is giving that phrase a whole different meaning with her new single, “Try Jesus,” from her forthcoming first full-length country album Come Get Your Wife.
The record is slated to drop on January 27th, 2023, and will include her #1 duet with Miranda Lambert “Drunk (And I Don’t Want to Go Home).” You might also recognize Elle’s name from her work with Dierks Bentley, as she was featured on their 2016 hit duet “Different For Girls.”
Her dad is well-known actor and comedian Rob Schneider (Grown Ups, The Hot Chick), and I definitely think you can tell she comes by her quick wit and great sense of humor very honestly.
“Try Jesus” is so funny, and I can honestly say it’s one of the more unique songs I’ve heard this year.
It finds her looking for a more fulfilling relationship since all the guys in her life are letting her down, as she runs through the list of all of the past relationships that haven’t worked out for whatever reason.
Co-written by Elle along with Geoffrey Warburton, Casey Cathleen Smith, Ashley Gorley and Ben Johnson, she says the song came at a time when she was searching for more fulfillment and a larger purpose in her life:
“‘Try Jesus’ came at a time I was trying to give my life over to something greater – and you can feel it.”
It’s a very tongue-in-cheek song, which features a gospel choir and some church organ int the background, but it’s refreshing to see her really go all the way there from a creative standpoint.
The music video was directed by Edi Patterson, who plays Judy Gemstone on the HBO series The Righteous Gemstones, which Elle noted is one of her favorite shows:
“‘The Righteous Gemstones’ is one of my favorite shows and I adore and have a hell-a respect for Edi Patterson who plays Judy Gemstone.
She responded quickly to my DM and said she would love to work together. She came up with the concept and believe it or not this is her directorial debut!
She’s such a pro and brought this energy, focus and joy to the set and I’m so excited this video is finally out!”
And in terms of the album as a whole, Elle says it is inspired by her home and growing up in Southern Ohio:
“This whole album is a crazy quilt of all sorts of moments and things that might not seem to go together, but because they’re me, they do.
It’s very Southern Ohio, very who we are – and very much a lot of people who are just like me, because I know they’re out there.”
This will certainly be a fun album that I’m really looking forward to hearing next year.
Make sure you check out the new video:
Come Get Your Wife will feature 12 tracks, seven of which were co-written by King herself.
Come Get Your Wife Tracklist:
1. Ohio – Written by Elle King, Bobby Hamrick, Ella Langley & Matt McKinney
2. Before You Met Me – Written by Tofer Brown, Margaret McRee & Lauren Hungate
3. Try Jesus – Written by Elle King, Geoffrey Warburton, Casey Cathleen Smith, Ashley Gorley & Ben Johnson
4. Drunk (And I Don’t Want To Go Home) with Miranda Lambert – Written by Elle King & Martin Johnson
5. Lucky – Written by Elle King, Bobby Hamrick, Ella Langley & Matt McKinney
6. Worth A Shot (featuring Dierks Bentley) Written by Shane McAnally, Ross Copperman & Josh Osborne
7. Tulsa – Written by Elle King, Bobby Hamrick, Ella Langley & Matt McKinney
8. Crawlin’ Mood – Written by Charlie Worsham & Jesse Frasure
9. Bonafide – Written by Elle King, Bobby Hamrick, Ella Langley & Matt McKinney
10. Blacked Out – Written by Elle King & Martin Johnson
11. Out Yonder – Written by Bobby Hamrick, Ella Langley & Matt McKinney
12. Love Go By – Written by Elle King, Geoffrey Warburton & Joe Janiak
Watch the album trailer here: